11.19.2014

a peek at our breakfast nook...

from the time that we bought our house in 2000, i've wanted to create a plate wall in our breakfast nook...
 
it's such a cute, little space... crookedly cute... our whole house is... but, hey... that's character for ya...
 
the main thing that i really love about the nook is the fact that the benches that were in my childhood home fit perfectly in the space... what i don't love about the benches is that i made the decision many years back to paint them a reddish color... not sure why... i went through a brief toile phase that really wasn't me... like, at all... since then, the said toile curtain has been given away... it's been replaced with a few rows of scrappy bunting...
 
there's a small, enamel topped table in there... and a dreamy chandelier that was my one and only splurge from arhaus furniture when we moved in...
 
i have a tiny fear of hammering nails into our walls... i always wait for john... i don't want to mess the plaster, or hang something in the wrong spot...
 
the other day, i decided to take matters into my own hands... i grabbed a hammer {obviously the oldest one i could find... ha!}
i found a baggie of nails... piled up my ever growing milk glass plate collection and variety of plate hangers and got to work...
 i started with a cute picture that i purchased at the hobby lobby a while back... it's frame was wooden which i wasn't that big of a fan of so i painted it out in white...
i kept playing around with the arrangement until i ended up with this... it makes me happy!
today, i hung another grouping... building around the owl plate that my parents brought over to me last week...
sometimes you have to make time to complete a project that's just for you... i'm slowly but surely getting the look that i want... here's a glimpse of how it sits today...
{umm... can we say horrible lighting?}
 
 i'd like to paint out the benches... maybe aqua? or the safe choice, white?

what do you think?

i also think the bunting needs to go... it's served it's purpose... i'm pretty sure sewing a new curtain is in my future... and maybe adding some pillows to the benches to soften them a bit...

i'll be sure to post a photo once it's completed... {don't hold your breath for a quick update... remember my euro shams... they only took over a year... ha!}

xo
angie

6 comments:

ChiotsRun said...

Aqua, you can always paint them white in 10 years when you're sick of aqua :)

oopsiemaizie said...

hi susy! very true :)

Natalie @ Being Mrs. Olson said...

I actually love the red!! But I don't know what the rest of the house looks like... I have to say I agree, the bunting can go. Although I don't have a better suggestion. I do love the small plant, you could definitely add some more life to the corner with more plants :) All of this said with love, not judgment!

Jen Kershner said...

Umm, of course aqua!! I love this spot. The plates turned out perfect!

Annesphamily said...

I love that owl plate! So sweet and quite fashionable this year. Or last I should say! Hee Hee! I bought a lil Christmas wreath and it features a tiny owl. I love it. I like the plate display.

Helen Shields said...

Definitely Aqua, although you know me I am all about the colour!!!! I would also paint that back wall a sunny yellow. A roman blind with pom pom trim on the bottom and then match some padded bench seat covers to tie it all in. Add a few coloured bits to the table and you would have yourself a cosy little nest area for dining. Oooh I love this area. Can't wait to see what you do with it. Exciting, I love a blank canvas.