2.24.2015

a giving spirit...

i was always a giver growing up... i can remember putting all of my change in an envelope and marking it "poor kids" after watching a program that touched my young, impressionable heart... when i learned to crochet in 2nd grade, i chained an entire skein of yarn and gave it as a gift to one of my mom's closest friends... as i got a little older, i never forgot birthdays, anniversaries, or thank you's...
 
and then life got busy, scattered, sometimes messy... my calendar went by the wayside... and to be honest, i'm a bit disappointed in myself... i have good intentions, but my follow through often falls short...
 
there's one person who continually shows me a giving spirit... our marina... what an example she is at only 9 years old...
 
that girl loves to give like crazy...
she's always thinking of who may need a little pick me up...
 
she makes cards... or little books for friends...
 
she wrapped a pretty bow around a hershey bar for one of her teachers a few weeks ago {because she overheard her mention that she could really use some chocolate}...
we made tissue paper flowers over the weekend and she gifted her bus driver with a small bouquet and a tiny tub of cotton candy... {and was thrilled as she came running through the door, to say how much miss stacy loved her surprise}... you could see her beaming at how her gift made someone else's day...
she made me a present for my birthday and it's been sitting, wrapped up in her closet for days... and insisted that john take her shopping last night so she could buy me something with her own money...
 
she has such a giving heart... it is her gift... and i love to see that quality shine in her... it makes me proud...
it's also made me realize that i need to get my act together in this department... whether it be a card... a small surprise for someone... happy mail being sent or time spent... i need to start doing better... i really miss my old self...
 
what are your favorite ways to give to others?
 
xo
angie

3 comments:

anny said...

You are speaking to my heart. I love giving but have lost it somewhere between a tough schedule and some painful feelings of being used.
After I tried to avoid being used (and never giving too much), I have found that giving means deep joy, happiness and being oneself.
For me, giving starts with a kind smile, with some kind words and asking how the other person feels. And it goes on with little acts of help or self-made presents ...
Thank you for your post :)

Jen Kershner said...

What a sweet girl! I was always the same way. Every year I would use my birthday and Christmas money to buy Christmas presents for everyone else. I loved doing it. I still love giving gifts to people who aren't expecting it. I also like to just try to send friends encouraging texts or mail when I know they need it. Or sometimes just tell them something I love about them. It fills my heart to give someone else a lift. And by the way, you are still awfully thoughtful! Remember that package of Christmas loveliness you sent me? Plus you are always such an encouragement. You have a beautiful heart.

Jillian's Bella Rosa Antiques said...

So sweet. It is wonderful to see that things we have shown them stuck and they have learned something that touched their hearts. Special!