5.19.2014

time to get planting...

in my mind i have a green thumb, and a beautiful, cottagey garden... one where i can go out and cut fresh flowers, arrange them in mason jars about the house and call it happy...
 
my reality is that i can't keep up with all of it... i often forget where things are planted... my markers disappear after long, frozen winters... tulips sprout leaves instead of blooms... i'm constantly saying, "is that a plant or a weed?"
 
hostas are my new bff's... they never fail or disappoint...
 
container planting is somewhat manageable... but even that can be a little overwhelming to me... shade, sun, colors, heights... i usually go with the tried and true impatiens... much like the hosta... they're pretty hardy... but this year, i'd like to mix it up, if even a little...
 
so... my friend cara has been telling me about lutz greenhouse for a while... every spring {over the last several years} i tell myself that it's where i'm heading to buy my plants... if i'm being completely honest, i've planted zero in my flower boxes that hang in the front of our house for the past few springs... and last year i managed to plant only in our containers on our patio area...
 
i have high hopes this spring... to cozy up the place... flowers add a much needed splash of color {especially to our dark-ish, english tudor home...}
 
off to lutz i went, a little road trip of sorts... i thought i'd pick up a quick gift for my mom {she who has the green thumb}... and scope out the place...
i'm so happy that i did!
 
i started off in their little gift shop...
so quaint...

 the type of place that makes you want to go home and plant... you feel inspired to pretty up your yard...

are you loving succulents these days? from what i hear, they're all the rage... i didn't quite get it until i saw these... they're actually really pretty in person...
 unique colors and shapes...
 
they have the cutest selection of fairy garden items... 
 container fairy gardens ready to go...
 or a neat collection of mosses and miniature fairy plants, to make your own haven...
 lots of textures...
 charming little houses...
 miniature peat pots full of treasures...
 herbs...
a greenhouse with the right amount of chippiness and character...
there's color...
 lots and lots of color...
 i had the best time looking around... so much pretty at every turn...
 this is the gem that came home with me... my mom loves it...
 
i met heather, who was very helpful in steering me in the right direction for my flower boxes this year... i'm heading back this week and i'll be sure to show you what i pick out... stay tuned!
 
xo
angie

2 comments:

Heather Weaver said...

You are amazing! Thank You for the kindness. Maybe we can get together next winter and talk!

Jen Kershner said...

Gorgeous! No wonder you were inspired! I have to say, containers totally overwhelm me. But for the last two years I have just started planting perennial in my beds after being frozen in fear and indecision and I'm so happy I have. Just start somewhere! That's what worked for me anyway.